Ingredients for cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar (I use beet sugar)
4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
Ingredients for dark chocolate sauce:
3 squares dark chocolate
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp vegan margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
Directions for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan (preferably spring form) and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir in the cinnamon, cayenne, vanilla, vinegar, oil, and water. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Melt dark chocolate with soy milk in small sauce pan over low heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vegan margarine, vanilla, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
Makes 8 to 10 serving