Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Beef" Stew

Just like Grandma used to make... seriously, this was a little hard to eat it tastes so much like the real thing!

Ingredients:
2 cups carrots,chopped
4 medium potatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
olive oil
2 pkgs. Morningstar farms steak strips
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
dash of cinnamon
Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups reconstituted vegetarian 'beef' bullion

Directions:
  1. Fill a large pot with water. Bring carrots and potatoes to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked but still firm. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute steak strips and onion until onion is translucent. Add spices and flour.
  3. Slowly add the broth/bullion to the saucepan until a gravy forms. Mix in the carrots and potatoes. Stir constantly until desired consistancy is reached, adding water if needed.

13 comments:

O Mama Mia said...

Oh you're daring! I can't stomach the flavor of meat. Oddly enough, Hubs is a huge meat eater. Ugh.
I'll have to try this one on him to see if he can tell.

isunshine said...

I have a question about the steak strips. I tried them in a stir fry, and they ended up mushy. Any suggestions? Are the squishy in the stew? It sounds really good.

Staci said...

I am making this for dinner tomorrow night. :)

Sounds yummy!!

April said...

Tip for the "beef" and "chicken" strips:

I have found that mine are mushy as well when I try to fry them up in a skillet. Either that, or they take WAY too much time to get the consistency I like. Which is why I usually toss them with a little oil, put them on a baking sheet, then throw them in the oven for about 15 minutes to bake. They get a nice texture when you do this.

BTW: Love this blog.

Johanna3 said...

great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I used seitan cuz I hate those steak strips. And the directions don't tell you when to add in the celery...unless i'm completely blind! lol But it is a good recipe!

Katy said...

This recipe was amazing! Thanks! I'm going link to you on my blog!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,酒店經紀 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花禮服店, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花

smallawei said...

蜂炮,情趣用品,情趣用品,視訊,免費視訊,煙火,煙火工廠,煙火,煙火,煙火,視訊,正妹視訊,真愛密碼,真愛密碼,衣蝶,衣蝶,情趣,情趣,AV女優,AV女優,煙火批發,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,小泉彩,小泉彩,情趣用品,鞭炮,live119論壇

www.encontactos.com said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I suppose.

www.soria-3d.com said...

This cannot really work, I feel so.

Anonymous said...

Remember - F, VVS, VS, SI and I - the most valuable at the start
of the scale. The quality of the cut will decide the stone's brilliance, because more light will be reflected. If you've chosen to wear pearls for your
wedding jewelry, shopping for them now becomes a task.


My homepage ... http://nagylexikon.info

Anonymous said...

Therefore parents are advised to purchase only
bedding that is totally suitable for they bed they choose.
This allows your babies to sleep close to each other
without clobbering or rolling over each other. Once you invest some time before you shop, you will end up way more satisfied with your bassinet.


Also visit my blog stroller - -